Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Picassa takes on Flickr

Flickr has been dominating the online photo sharing world, and it is run by Yahoo! While Google has had its hands in a couple thousand projects, the company could not sit back and let Yahoo! get the upper hand in the digital photo market. Flickr is an amazing service, and loved by many. However, I do like Picassa for my photo organizing. Couldn't the two have just collaborated and made a powerful site incorporating the best of Picassa with Flickr? Nope. Google has just launched a beta-version called Picassa Web Albums to directly compete with Flickr. The site is in Google fashion of invite only until it is officially launched. My invititation is in the mail, and I'm curious to see. My bet is that it doesn't touch the features of Flickr, but it will probably be a breeze to upload from Picassa. We shall see.