Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Happy Birthday Kevin!

While I should be reviewing Paris Hilton's new stellar album that will no doubt pass Sgt. Pepper's on the all-time greatest albums list; I will dedicate this one to the piano man himself, my brother Kevin. Billy Joel has just released a new live album, 12 Gardens Live, appropriately recorded at Madison Square Garden in NYC. With 32 tracks, this live album captures Joel's greatest hits and some more obscure songs. I have given it a full listen, and it is well done. It is not the best live mix I have ever heard, but Billy is rockin on many tracks, and his voice is as good as ever. Although he claimed that he was quitting the pretentious rock scene to focus on classical, I still haven't seen the classical masterpiece yet, so 12 Gardens, will have to do. While not a huge fan of Billy's personality, one cannot deny his talent, and this album will keep the older generation happy. I can't give Joel too much flack for his short-lived retirement as some of the greats have done the same, and who cares. No complaints when M.J. came back wearin the '45' and Jay-Z is back; but they're much cooler than Billy Joel. Anyway, 12 Gardens is Billy Joel at his usual self, and happy 30th Kevin.