Saturday, May 20, 2006

Through the Hype

Well after a week off of blogging and life due to illness, I was happy to recover in time to treat myself to the much anticipated DaVinci Code. While I personally enjoyed Angels & Demons much more as a book, DaVinci was definitely more movie-worthy of the two.

As for the movie, I think protesters would be thoroughly disappointed in Ron Howard's creation, as it seems to be very PC to the Church (other than the code premise), with the negative view of Opus Dei and other strong themes from the book heavily downplayed. Overall, I enjoyed the movie, but it moved a little slow at times, and some of the acting (Sophie) was a little dry. Hanks and the Brit were great, but it almost stayed true to the book too much, while forgetting that it was a movie. Overall, Ron Howard did a great job not distorting the tone of the book, which is not usually the case in Hollywood. It is not going up in my top 10 list, but DaVinci Code was worth the small fortune I invested at the local cineplex.