Saturday, June 09, 2007

Firefox 3 on the Horizon

Firefox 3 is in Alpha mode, which means nothing to average folks like me, however, it does mean that a newer version is on the horizon. Ars Technica has an in-depth review of some of the new features of Firefox 3.0, or Gran Paradiso, and speculates that the beta version (for folks like me) could be out in late summer or September.

I think Firefox is an amazing browser and find new tricks and tools everyday that just make me smile. While over half of internet users still think that the stupid blue e is the only way to get to the internet, Firefox is creeping up in numbers. Microsoft is at 79%, FF 15%, Safari 5%...That may seem like MS is dominating but I think Internet Explorer was in the high 90% not too long ago. Safari will continue to grow because all the old people trying Macs will use Safari like the little blue e. What amazes me is the buzz and excitement that abounds when Apple releases a product (s), or the anticipation for Firefox 3.0. When is the last time anybody gave a rat's arse when a new version of IE came out? Great, IE7 is here and I can't download it because I failed 1 of the 37 verification and validation tests. Yippee.

Do you think Firefox will ever catch up to Internet Explorer? Or, could Safari? Leave a comment and tell me your vote.